The one-story addition will be home to a new library that will make Anthology’s unparalleled collections of paper materials better served and more accessible than ever before. The new library will provide more storage space so Anthology’s holdings can continue to grow, and will also incorporate — for the first time — dedicated research and reading spaces allowing visitors to interact with the collection, which includes thousands of books, journals, film stills, original correspondence, artist notes, and production documents, including invaluable materials relating to Harry Smith, Maya Deren, Joseph Cornell, Kenneth Anger, Jonas Mekas, and many others.
An infill expansion into Anthology’s adjacent alleyway property will create space for new cold-storage film vaults, built to the highest archival standards for the environmentally-controlled conservation of film and videotape, improving on Anthology’s current storage, as well as increasing vault capacity for the expansion of its collection in the future.
The ground floor of this alleyway expansion will be devoted to a public café, creating an important new gathering space for the community that will also help to offset Anthology’s operating costs.
A rooftop terrace for special events and performances will expand public programming opportunities and generate revenue to help offset operating costs.
A complete interior renovation will improve public areas, gallery space, and research facilities — to include digitization suites — expanding public programming opportunities and improving accessibility.
Elevator, Mechanical, and Environmental Upgrades
A new elevator will make the entire building ADA accessible.
New film vaults and a complete upgrade of mechanical equipment will improve building circulation and environmental management for optimal film preservation conditions.
The exterior architectural details of Anthology’s historic 1919 courthouse building will be restored, ensuring the proper preservation of this landmark building as part of the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District.